Attention Girl Scouts of Western WA – schedule your own science workshops and explore fresh ideas to help tie badges to Journeys. Rock Solid Science is a great resource for learning about nature, habitats, conservation, environmental science, food webs and all things geology! Each engaging activity is a hands-on learning experience that allows kids to create something special to take home with them.
Some ideas to consider:
· Painting – explore the world of agates, which are the subject of this watercolor project
· Outdoor Art Creator – kaleidoscopes in nature featuring rocks, minerals and forest objects
· Outdoor Adventurer – sensory walk and observations on a forest trail
· Bugs – explore wetland ecology concepts and pond bugs
· Hiker – scavenger hunt with a scientist in a park or nature trail setting
· Animal Habitats - learn about food webs, forest animals and dissect owl pellets!
· Drawing – explore geologic time, excavate fossils followed by an illustration activity
· Outdoor Art Apprentice – make high quality, beautiful gem trees!
Cost depends on location, head count and supplies. Average cost is $20 -$25 per person, or a group flat rate can be quoted. All programs include earthy take-aways and experiences the girls will treasure.
* Note: rock and mineral workshops, geode cracking activities are available for troops too!